"My wish is that children be treated as people, and not as property; that their rights as human beings on the planet, to food, shelter, education, and health, be taken seriously."
"He who can reach a child's heart can reach the world's heart."
"Somehow destiny comes into play. These children end up with you and you end up with them. It's something quite magical."
As quoted from the book "Adoption Is Another Word for Love"
LGBT Family Law
The definition of family is rapidly changing in America. Surratt Law Practice welcomes all families in need of legal protection. The LGBT community has a significant number of complex legal issues that may or may not take place in other family formation or divorce matters because of the rapid pace of changing laws and legal uncertainties. Nevada made a significant shifts in these rights in October of 2009 when Nevada Domestic Partnerships became effective. Kimberly Surratt, the principal of Surratt Law Practice, testified at the Nevada Legislature in support of domestic partnerships and is proud of her role in assisting the passage of the bill. Ms. Surratt is a member of the National LGBT Bar Association and the National Family Law Advisory Council with the National Center for Lesbian Rights. Surratt Law Practice has become nationally recognized for their efforts in the LGBT community. When dealing with these complex issues you want an attorney that is Nationally and Internationally connected. One that has a network of LGBT attorneys at their fingertips to assist you in these complex matters. Surratt Law Practice in Reno Nevada knows that your family matters and that we can assist you in a belt and suspenders approach. We have the ability to help Nevada LGBT families with a variety of legal issues specifically faced by same sex couples, including:
- Prenuptial, Postnuptial and Cohabitation Agreements (with consideration to partnership recognitions outside of the State of Nevada)
- Division of property upon separation
- Gay and Lesbian Divorce
- Custody and Support of Children for LGBT parents
- Dissolution of long-term relationships
- HIPAA regulations and health care directives, including Last Wills and Testaments and Durable Powers of Attorney
- Non-biological parent and second parents adoptions
- Third Party Adoptions
- Reallocation of assets
- Marriage contracts for transgender couples
- Donor insemination agreements
- Living together agreements, including sharing of expenses
- Contract for long term couples
- Agreements to combine income and assets
- Parenting agreements between parents
- Surrogacy for LGBT Intended Parents
- Name changes for transgender clients
- Egg, Embryo and Sperm Donation Contracts
- Advocacy for LGBT clients with medical clinics
- Representation of Medical Clinics at assure non-discrimination of LGBT Clients
Surratt Law Practice takes a holistic approach to LGBT matters. If our LGBT lawyers can't help you (for example an employment rights matter) we will help you find a law firm that will understand your rights, please just call and ask us for a referral. Schedule your consultation today with a Surratt Law Practice attorney to let us help protect you, your partner, your child and your assets from unnecessary and unforeseen circumstances before they arise.